"Books are a uniquely portable magic." ~Stephen King

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

"In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity. I'm not inclined to resign to
maturity." ~The Friendly Indians



Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Th1rteen R3asons Why

If you check my “Currently Reading” list, you’ll see I’m reading Th1rteen R3asons Why. This book is completely awesome and almost impossible to put down. I’ve already given all of my classes a summary, so I’m not going to repeat myself. However, this book has made me ponder if I can pinpoint thirteen reasons that influenced specific decisions I’ve made in my life…either good or bad.

Here’s my list of 13 Reasons Why I Decided to Date/Marry My Husband:
1. The first time he said, “Hello”, I *swear* I saw my entire future life flash before my eyes…wedding, working at the same radio station, buying our first house, what it looked like…everything.
2. Since I was sort of freaked out about the whole “hello” thing, I avoided going on a date with him, so he called my house and left such a message on my answering machine, that my grandmother made him peanut butter cookies and MADE me go out with him. I guess the reason I put this here is because he thought I was someone special and didn’t give up asking me out until I said (was made) to say “yes”.
3. For our first date, he saved up 2 weeks worth of his paycheck to buy us excellent seats to a Pistons game, even though it meant that the only food he would be able to afford was soup during the 2 weeks.
4. On our first date he didn’t even try to kiss me goodnight because he respected me that much.
5. He helped me land my first job as a radio D.J.
6. He watches cheesy romantic comedy movies with me and doesn’t complain.
7. He surprised me with our first puppy.
8. He encourages me to be *me* and not somebody else.
9. When we go to a concert, he lets Lilac Rain and I stand in front of him (before Lilac Rain came along it was just me), so we can see the musicians and not get smooshed by the crowd.
10. He always remembers to bring me a coat or sweater when I forget.
11. He proposed to me on Christmas Day as soon as it struck midnight, on the basketball court he played on as a kid, and didn’t even laugh when I slipped on the ice and fell on my bottom from jumping up and down with excitement.
12. He forgave for not saying “yes” right away because I was so excited I forgot.
13. He calls me his princess.
That last one was so sweet, it almost made me puke! So, think about it and maybe you could leave a list of 13 Reasons Why you were influenced to do something.

Consider reading the book Th1rteen R3asons Why. Even though Hannah’s outcome is devastating to everyone she knew, the book really makes you think about how the actions of others influence decisions.  This is a book I need to own and I will definitely read it again and again.
Read on my little rock stars!!
<3 Mrs. T...hompson

8 comments:

Corgii said...

hey, no credit for introducing you to the book? lol. it is an amazing book (as you already know) it is my favorite book EVER. i just love it and i couldent put it down from the second i got it. the book just has such an amazing story line and like, feeling to how everything was written. you totally feel and understand what hannah was going through and shes not even the main character! it really does also make you think about how you affect other peoples lives ad all, and after a wile i started thinking about some of the things i have said to other people that could have been taken totally the wrong way. im really glad you like the book mrs. T.Hompson! im really happy i could introduce you to something that awsome.

love you!!!
-Corgii

Unknown said...

okay, nice.

jordan!! said...

i will be reading that!


~popcorn

Sanana said...

souunds good is it in our school libary??

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Corgi~
Thank you again for lending this to me. It also makes me reflect on how our actions can start "a snowball effect". All through the book, I couldn't believe Hannah was dead because her character seemed so real. And Clay...my heart ached for him trying to figure out what he had done wrong, but Hannah said only kind words about him. I think he still believes he could have saved her and he'll have to live with that the rest of his life.
Love you too!!!
Mrs. T...hompson

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Sanana~
Unfortunately, it is not in our school library. Try all of the local libraries. Maybe they can get it for you!
Mrs. T...hompson

Unknown said...

hey mrs.t. i put this book on my shelfari shelf!!!

Emily said...

uhm okay 13 reasons why i draw

1. my dad encouraged me (surprising much?)
2. it takes my emotions away onto that paper
3. sense of accomplishment
4. something to do
5. i never get bored with it
6. ever
7. i love the way i can get carried away
8. just like a book it helps me enter a better world, a safer one
9. distracts you from bad things
10. it's fun
11. people like pictures!
12. you could make money sometimes
13. your praised about it even though it seems effortless

~Emolaylay