"Books are a uniquely portable magic." ~Stephen King

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

"In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity. I'm not inclined to resign to
maturity." ~The Friendly Indians



Tuesday, March 9, 2010

Favorite Song

Everyone has a favorite song that speaks to them just like poetry.  Did you know that lyrics are just poetry put to music?  Post the lyrics to your favorite song, why you love it, and I'll pick one at random and post it along with your response on the main page.  After watching the modern day Cinderella story, I was reminded of one of my all time favorite love/heartache songs.  After each stanza, I'm going to post why I love it, or what it means to me.  You should do the same thing with your song, so we all know you're interpretation of it.  Remember, there is no right or wrong answers.  It's all about how the song speaks to YOU.  Here's my example:

I'll Be by Edwin Mccain *sigh*  (another rock star boyfriend!)

The strands in your eyes that color them wonderful

Stop me and steal my breath
And emeralds from mountains thrust towards the sky
Never revealing their depth
(He's obviously describing her beauty, while saying that she has mystery in her eyes.  He knows she's not letting him see the real her completely.)

And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above
(Hmmm...this one is a bit more difficult.  I love the way it sounds, but what does it mean?  I think that it means that he wants to *know* that she truly loves him, but he's willing to accept it if she's just pretending by"dressing it up with the trappings of love".  Remember the mysterious eyes?  Maybe she's not quite ready for a full commitment.  The word "gallows"  means a frame from which criminals are hung.  I think that the last line means that she's been hurt many, many times before since the gallows "hang from above".  The criminals are her past boyfriends that have hurt her.  It's almost like she's gotten past them, but the heartache is still there.)

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life
(He's saying that he'll be her friend to try to get through the pain of the past.  However, the lyric, "I'll be love suicide" seems to suggest that he's destined to follow the same pattern as the other boyfriends...that even though he *thinks* that he loves her, he knows he's not mature enough to have a long lasting relationship.  Next, the line "and I'll be better when I'm older" suggests that he's telling her that once he grows up, he believes that he'll truly love her and think the world of her because he will have become a mature and better person.) 

And rain falls angry on the tin roof
As we lie awake in my bed
And you're my survival, you're my living proof
My love is alive, and not dead
(I believe that the angry rain is a sign his tears.  He realizes that he's been hurt in the past too, and maybe isn't over his own heartache, which makes him upset.  When he says that she's his survival and living proof that his love is alive and not dead, it seems that he's beginning to accept that he *is* ready to have a meaningful, long term relationship...that he *thinks* he's past the heartache because he never thought that he could *really and truly* love again.  Also the line
"my love is alive and not dead" suggests that he realizes that he's been numb the whole time, but didn't know it until she's come along.)


And tell me that we belong together
Dress it up with the trappings of love.
I'll be captivated, I'll hang from your lips
Instead of the gallows of heartache that hang from above
(Now, he is looking for reassurance that they really should be together.  The sides have switched and the gallows are *his* past relationsips and breakups.)

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I`ll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life
(...but maybe it still won't happen.  He seems to be struggling with his emotions.  GRRRRRRRR!!)

And I dropped out, I burned up, I fought my way back from the dead,
I tuned in, I turned on, remembered the thing that you said.
(Obviously he is referring to his past relationships, his growing maturity, and the way he is starting to feel true love again as he reflects on the conversation they had in the past stanza...the one with the rain falling on the tin roof.)

And I'll be your cryin' shoulder
I'll be love suicide
And I'll be better when I'm older
I'll be the greatest fan of your life
The greatest fan of your life

(Again, he changed his mind!!  His must have been really hurt in the past!  He's not quite sure if they should be together...double GRRRRRR!!  I thought that girls were the ones who were suppose to be undecided in relationships.  Unfortunately, as listeners/readers, we don't know what will happen to their present relationship; we only know that he feels that *someday* he will totally commit to her, or maybe that it means that he envies the fact that she's moving on, which will make him "the greatest fan of your life".  When he's ready for a commitment, I wonder if she'll be waiting.)

I'm looking forward to seeing what all of you come up with!!!
Keep Writing!!
Mrs. T...hompson
P.S. Please don't forget to read my comments from the post below!  I made a boo boo!!  :(

20 comments:

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Can I Have This Dance (High School Musical 3)

Take my hand, take a breath
Pull me close and take one step
Keep your eyes locked on mine,
And let the music be your guide.

Won't you promise me (now won't you promise me, that you'll never forget)
We'll keep dancing (to keep dancing) wherever we go next

(chorus)
It's like catching lightning the chances of finding someone like you
It's one in a million, the chances of feeling the way we do
And with every step together, we just keep on getting better
So can I have this dance (can I have this dance)
Can I have this dance

Take my hand, I'll take the lead
And every turn will be safe with me
Don't be afraid, afraid to fall
You know I'll catch you through it all

And you can't keep us apart (even a thousand miles, can't keep us apart)
'Cause my heart is (cause my heart is) wherever you are

(chorus)
It's like catching lightning the chances of finding someone like you
It's one in a million, the chances of feeling the way we do
And with every step together, we just keep on getting better
So can I have this dance (can I have this dance)
Can I have this dance

Oh no mountains too high enough, oceans too wide
'Cause together or not, our dance won't stop
Let it rain, let it pour
What we have is worth fighting for
You know I believe, that we were meant to be

(chorus)
It's like catching lightning the chances of finding someone like you (like you)
It's one in a million, the chances of feeling the way we do (way we do)
And with every step together, we just keep on getting better
So can I have this dance (can I have this dance)
Can I have this dance

Can I have this dance
Can I have this dance

I love, love, love this song. I think it's beautiful! Lilac Rain thinks I'm completely cheesey when I sing and dance to this song at the same time!! (Trust me I'm not...yeah, right). I'm not going to go through and analyze the lyrics because I think they are pretty straight forward. However, I will say that I think that the dance represents the rest of their lives. What do you think?

Unknown said...

i cant pick a favorite song because then i would have to do 27 of these. dont ask why, you can if you want to though. haha

Emolaylay☼♥ said...

omg mrs t! you love that song too?! i lurve it! anyways my song is Fade Away by 12 Stones. I just heard it recently and I loved it! So, here are the lyrics:

I need you to feel exactly like I do inside
But I feel so alone again
I try to find a better life
Somewhere far away from here
But I need you to believe in me( reminds me of some things I've been into a few hard situations)

But I won't be afraid
Just because you don't need me
I will not be ashamed
Just because you don't believe in anything that I say
Now I turn and I walk away from you

I won't fade away
I won't fade away again (I moved a lot as a kid and I found that a few friends only stay around for a little while just to heal a scar or two until you are strong enough to leave)

I find you down the road that I have walked before
And I know you're alone again
You try to find a better life
Somewhere far away from here
But I need you to believe in me (but, sometimes we aren't strong enough and we need protecton, we need faith in ourselves...sometimes we may need other shoulders to cry on or friends to laugh with...for someone to believe in us)


You try to make me fade away (it makes me think of certain people and how they take something loved away)

~Emolaylay

princess* said...

okkay my favorite song is baby by justin bieber

i love this song because it says alott about me and how my life sometimes happens!!

so the lyrics are:

oh woahh, oh woahh, oh woahhh

You know you love me
I know you care
And I would never, not be there
You are my love
You are my heart
And we would never, ever, ever be apart

Are we an item?
Girl quit playin'
We're just friends,
What are you sayin'
Take another look right in my eyes
My first love, broke my heart for the first time

And now I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine

For you, I would have done whatever
and no i can't believe we're not together
And I'm gonn' play it cool
While I'm losin you
I'll buy you anything
I'll buy you any ring
Cause I'm in pieces
so come fix me
shake me til' you can wake me from this bad dream*
I'm goin down, down, dooown

*everybody!*

Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby ohh
I thought you'd always be mine

You can give me all of your love
just this time it wont be enough
Nobody told me this day would come
Now I'm all gone
You can give me all of your love
just this time it wont be enough
Nobody told me this day would come

I wa- I was like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)

Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Now I'm all gone, gone, gone, gone
I'm gonee


~diana<3

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Twilight~
Why?

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Emolaylay,
Great detailed interpretation of the song! I think I know what you're hinting at in some of your responses.
<3 Mrs. T...hompson

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Princess~
You need to tell me more! Whose the guy? You don't have to come right out and say actually who, but I need you to tell me how each stanza relates to you.
<3 Mrs. T...hompson

Emolaylay☼♥ said...

Haha yeah it's obvious when you think about it but, true
~Emolaylay

princess☼ said...

okay mrs.thompson i re did it since you said to say how it relates to me so here i go!!


okkay my favorite song is baby by justin bieber

i love this song because it says alott about me and how my life sometimes happens!!

so the lyrics are:

oh woahh, oh woahh, oh woahhh

You know you love me
I know you care
And I would never, not be there
You are my love
You are my heart
And we would never, ever, ever be apart

(its saying how you love him (in my perspective)and you care about him and dont want to leave him because you love him to much)

Are we an item?
Girl quit playin'
We're just friends,
What are you sayin'
Take another look right in my eyes
My first love, broke my heart for the first time

(it says that are we still goinn out well why are you flirting with other gurls,and he says he's not and you dont belive him so he breaks up with you and you love him so your heartbroken)

And now I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine

(it says that you thought you and him would be together forever but its not gonna happen so she's begging to have him back)

For you, I would have done whatever
and no i can't believe we're not together
And I'm gonn' play it cool
While I'm losin you
I'll buy you anything
I'll buy you any ring
Cause I'm in pieces
so come fix me
shake me til' you can wake me from this bad dream*
I'm goin down, down, dooown

(it says that that she cant belive that your not gonna take her back so she's gonna just stay away but if you change your mind that she will do anything for you,and take her back before she has a breakdown!)


*everybody!*

Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby ohh
I thought you'd always be mine

(and again she thought that they would always be together...)

You can give me all of your love
just this time it wont be enough
Nobody told me this day would come
Now I'm all gone
You can give me all of your love
just this time it wont be enough
Nobody told me this day would come

(he can say he loves her now but she doesnt belive him and nobody told her that this would happen!!)

I wa- I was like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I'm like
Baby, baby, baby noo
I thought you'd always be mine (mine)

Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Yeahh, yeah, yeah
Now I'm all gone, gone, gone, gone
I'm gonee
(well now since its all overr and she knows now that its not gonna happenn so she needs to move on and find another guy!!)



now this is in my perspetive or however you spell it but im not a guy so i said she instead of he



~diana<3

Unknown said...

Adam Lambert!!!!!

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Princess~
Much better! Great job!!!
<3 Mrs. T...hompson

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Twilight~
Obviously it's going to be an Adam Lambert song, but which one and how does it speak to you?

Unknown said...

idk which 1 yet. I'll have to do ennie mennie minie moe
haha

Emolaylay☼♥ said...

Okay, another song i absolutely love is Heartbreak Warfare or Sometimes Goodbye is A Second Chance

Unknown said...

it's just Second Chance!!
haha

Unknown said...

Mrs.Thompson
pick a number 1-2

Emolaylay☼♥ said...

hahaha and my fav adam song is if i had you cuz well yeah idk how to explain it i just lurv it!
~E

Unknown said...

i dont have a favorite Adam Lambert song because they're all awsomely amazing (:

Emily said...

right now i'm obsessed with when i look at you by miley cyrus (: i don't feel like typing the lyrics though haha

Emily said...

my newest song obsession:

Breathe into Me - Red

And this is how it feels when I ignore the words you spoke to me
And this is where I lose myself when I keep running away from you
And this is who I am when, when I don't know myself anymore
And this is what I choose when it's all left up to me
(reminds me of when i used to be depressed all the time or when your forced to make a decision about something or someone you dont wanna)

Breathe your life into me
I can feel you
I'm falling, falling faster
Breathe your life into me
I still need you
I'm falling, falling
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
(when you make that decision maybe you feel you made the wrong one and you want that person back)

And this is how it looks when I am standing on the edge
And this is how I break apart when I finally hit the ground
And this is how it hurts when I pretend I don't feel any pain
And this is how I disappear when I throw myself away
(when you can't take anything anymore, when you need something to hold onto and don't have it and feel as if you'll fall)

Breathe your life into me
I can feel you
I'm falling, falling faster
Breathe your life into me
I still need you
I'm falling, falling
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
(you need someone to revive you to catch you from the fall)

Breathe your life into me
I can feel you
I'm falling, falling faster
Breathe your life into me
I still need you
I'm falling, falling
Breathe into me

Breathe your life into me!
I'm falling, falling faster
Breathe your life into me!
falling, falling, falling
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
Breathe into me
(falling, leaving, fading away when the decision was yours to make and now that person won't catch you anymore)

hope you like the interpretation
~Emolaylay