"Books are a uniquely portable magic." ~Stephen King

"Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book." ~Author Unknown

"In between the lines there's a lot of obscurity. I'm not inclined to resign to
maturity." ~The Friendly Indians



Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Comfort Books

Have you ever heard of the term “comfort food”? If not, comfort food is food that gives people a sense of security, contentment, home…comfort. For some people, it’s anything with mashed potatoes or anything that has been gravy-fied. (Note: The term “gravy-fied” is my own Thompsonism. It means anything that is smothered in gravy. YUM!!!). For other people, comfort food is something special that only their mama or nanny can make. Well, other people can technically make it, but it won’t taste as good or even taste the same. Still for others, comfort food can be something as simple as chocolate or a special candy. Did you ever consider that there could be comfort books?

I was feeling mentally blah lately, and nothing seemed good to read. Nothing. I have loads and loads of books, and most of them I haven’t even read yet, but still nothing seemed to catch my attention. Just when boredom seemed inevitable, I reached for my battered, torn, but well loved copy of Winnie the Pooh. My copy of this book is O.L.D.!!! It was my mum’s when she was a kid. I curled up on the couch with a cup of hot chocolate despite the fact that it was 90 degrees out, and was instantly transported to the Hundred Acre Woods. I *love* that place!! (Have you been there? If not, you absolutely must take a trip; it’s enchanting!) After I was done with the book, I tried to remember how many times I’ve read those stories. I can’t even count; it’s just too many. I realized that Winnie the Pooh is probably my ultimate comfort book. I have others that I reach for again and again. To Kill a Mockingbird, The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants, and Eclipse are probably my next three. I don’t know; there’s just something about these books that make me feel relaxed, at home, complete, and I’m perfectly satisfied to read them over and over.

Question: Do you have any comfort books? If so, what are they, and why do you suppose that you keep coming back to reread them?

Keep rockin’ the reading!!
Mrs. T…hompson

8 comments:

Emily said...

Well, I don't really think I have a comfort book. Reading for me is just a comfort itself. The way you get to slip into your own little world and mold the story as your own. Escaping reality, into the world of the writer. Reading is my own little place to hide away from the world when all seems lost or everything is going wrong.


OH! I think everyone loves Winnie the Pooh ^^ :) Rooh was always my favorite character. Him and Eyeore :'D Heffalumps were Epic too! :D

~Emily

Mrs. T...hompson said...

Indeed. Heffalumps and Woozles positively rock!!

Unknown said...

Haha, I LOVE Winnie the Pooh! I used to have a Winnie the Pooh book but lost it. I don't really have a comfort book either despite the fact that I love Cirque Du Freak so much, haha. I totally agree with Emily. Reading itself is my comfort. That...and the computer :D

Anonymous said...

Love your blog!!!!! My comfort book is the bible. I keep going back to it for comfort to see some light in my world.

K.C
Block 2

(Its-a-girls-life)

Anonymous said...

Hi Mrs.T...hompson <3 u!!!!!!!


-Hanna I. Block-3

Emily said...

http://emolaylayextra.blogspot.com/2010/09/for-mrs-t-d.html For youuu :D

~Emily

Anonymous said...

My comfort book has always been Marry Poppins i am not shure why but it just is...

And i always the rabbit in winnie the pooh i always him and tiger were funny!!!!

Kaitlin said...

Gravy, YUM!!! Winnie the pooh is so cool!Eore(i don't know how to spell it sorry!)is my favorite character! My comfort books are...Eclipse Breaking Dawn, Where the Red Fern Grows& the Bible. I love reading before bed and i get that sleepy feeling but you just want to read on but you are to tired to!